This recipe is simply fantastic! I’ve always loved the loaded baked potato soup at Chili’s, and this recipe is the closest copycat that I’ve found and adapted! Compare it for yourself, and let me know what you think!
Baked Potato Soup
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 c. flour
- 4 1/2 c. milk
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes baked
- 2 c. cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. green onion chopped
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
- Add flour to pan.
- Slowly add milk a little at a time while whisking constantly to eliminate lumps. Whisk until smooth and then add chicken broth.
- Bring soup to just a simmer and heat until thickened, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Once soup has thickened, turn heat down to medium low.
- Cut potatoes in half length-wise and use a spoon to scoop out potato flesh into the pot. Use a wooden spoon to smash potatoes breaking up large clumps.
- Add 1 1/2 c. grated cheese, salt, pepper, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 3/4 c. sour cream, and 1/4 c. green onions.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top each serving with the remaining sour cream, onions, cheese, and bacon.
If you're unable to get your mixture smooth after adding flour and milk, save the hassle and add the mixture to a blender until smooth before continuing. Adapted from Our Best Bites